Friday 17 February 2012

Mommy Style

Once upon a time, I was a slave to fashion and its latest trends. That changed after losing my body to childbearing and growing six sizes. Nothing makes you feel more frumpy than having a newborn baby attached to your breast every two hours around the clock. Not only is there very little "me time", the debate becomes, "should I shower or should I sleep?" I got through those first few months wearing pregnancy clothes and sweats.

As the weight slowly started coming off, I gained a little more confidence and the desire to actually put some effort into my looks. During this transition period, I was still unable to fit into my old clothes and made do by letting out whatever I could, not buttoning cardigans and blazers (because I couldn't!) and buying only a couple pairs of pants. I certainly intended on losing all my pregnancy weight and convinced myself that I should not waste money and shop during this transition period. In retrospect, I believe that I could have given my self-confidence a boost if I had indeed gone shopping for some stylish clothes that fit my body well at that weight. I'm not saying you should go and buy yourself a whole new wardrobe - unless, of course, you have the means to do so, then I would say GO FOR IT - but nothing looks more put together than well fitted clothes - regardless of your weight or body shape. Perhaps what contributes most to feeling and looking frumpy are ill fitting clothes.

As my son reached toddler-hood, I felt I had more of "myself" back, body wise and also time wise. I never quite lost the last eight pounds of baby weight, but at least I reached a place where I can fit back into a good portion of my old wardrobe and feel good about my body again. At this time, I realized that my lifestyle had changed immensely - I am no longer working, nor does my social life include clubs or lounges. I felt it was time to do an overhaul and re-evaluate my wardrobe and style.

I purchased an amazing book called "Nothing to Wear?" which gives you step by step instructions on how to edit your wardrobe and establish your personal style. First you take a quiz to establish your "fashion personality", then you start purging your closet - this is perhaps the hardest part. Everything that doesn't fit your fashion personality, or anything you haven't worn in  a while and don't think you ever will has to go. This strips your wardrobe down to the bare bones upon which you can build your new style.

Being a mom does not mean you need to let go of your style. My typical day consists of shuttling my son to play dates, Moms and Tots programs, and lunch or coffee dates with other moms. My closet no longer consists of power suits, business casual, and clubbing outfits. Instead, those items have been replaced by what I like to call "relaxed chic": outfits that are comfortable but stylish enough to make me feel good about myself. And then a small portion of my closet is dedicated to some "frosting"...outfits for those rare special occasions where I actually get to dress up!

Nobody does relaxed chic better than celebrity moms. Whether it's Angelina Jolie's minimalist style, Sarah Jessica Parker's casual chic, Jessica Alba's bohemian chic, Katie Holmes' refined style, or Victoria Beckham's high style, they all have something in common: they have continued to dress according to their individual style personalities. They have stayed true to themselves, carrying looks that are stylish and also kid-friendly.

[all images via POPSUGAR]

Fashion is cyclical. It changes and so should we. As we mature and go through the different stages in our life, our style should also mature and change with us. So go ahead and rediscover the fashionista in you - the Mommy Fashionista that is!

Lots of love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment