Saturday 26 October 2013

Lipstick and Pearls

With two kids, it's often difficult to maintain a sharp sense of style when your clothes get destroyed daily by baby drool, spit-up, and whatever else your preschooler wipes onto you (usually it's his boogers, followed by hysterical laughing). Between school runs, piano lessons and schlepping around the baby, I often gravitate towards what's comfortable - my uniform of black leggings, ballet flats and a tunic - rather than what is stylish. Having to deal with excess baby weight to lose doesn't help the situation either!

Recently however, I realized that I didn't need to give up a part of myself or who I was (a lover of style and all things beautiful!) just because I have taken on the role of "Mom"...being a mom and having style are not mutually exclusive! I am now constantly reminded of what my grandmother used to tell me: "Looking good = feeling good". So regardless if you are merely sitting at home nursing a cold (or a baby), or if you are just out running errands, it doesn't hurt to put a little effort into your presentation and glam it up just a bit...because in the process, it'll make you feel better about yourself - and in my case, help me get out of what I call my "soccer-mom-frumpiness".

My grandmother was an elegant and sophisticated woman, always well dressed and ladylike...picture-perfect regardless of whether the occasion called for it or not. Perhaps we have lost the aesthetic of her time, but I feel it is time to bring it back into style. Like she always said, "a little bit of lipstick and jewelry goes a long way."




She has been gone for four years now, but not a day goes by that I don't miss her...so in accordance with my new motto of "living life beautifully", I want to honour my grandmother and the beautiful and glamorous woman that she was...you were always right Popo, looking good = feeling good, so today I am putting on some lipstick and pearls (your pearls) to celebrate you! I love you forever and always....


XO, Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment